Wednesday 17 October 2012

St Peter's Cream Stout. Somebody help me.

Just bought 4 bottles of this Stout from Ocado (4 for £6).  The retail price of this beer is £1.89 which, for a 6.5% ABV beer, has me a little puzzled.  Why is the retail price so low?

Ignoring that I looked on Ratebeer where it is scoring very highly.  Looks good I thought.  But then I see The Ormskirk Baron only scored it 2/5.  Must try it...

Quite lively with a tan head.  Creamy certainly. Fiz carpet on the tongue stretching to the back of the throat. Flavour?  Some light chocolate in the aftertaste but is that it!?  WFT!?!  (That fiz carpet is still clinging to the back of my mouth.)

This reminds me of home brews I used to do at college.  Its meant to be 6.5%  I don't believe that at all.  More like 5%. Has this been bottled too early?  It tastes like its half-way through fermentation - has a metalllic taste - is that the hops?  Very strange.  If this is in the condition that its meant to be in I'm very dissappointed.  I'll ask St. Peters and see if they can tell me what's going on.

Damn - I've got 3 more to drink...

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that you don't like it - you'd better save the other bottles for birthday presents to people you don't plan on seeing again!

    So hopefully you should now have learnt to never believe a word on RateBeer but to always take the Baron's word as gospel? ;) (only kidding I'm not that big-headed)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This doesn't end here. I'm going to see what StPeters says. And/or get some money back from Ocado. Is that mean? Oh yes.

    ReplyDelete